Drive It

Paperwork Required when Buying a Used Car

The Registration procedure and the Transfer of ownership explained

Page 1 / 2
When you’re in the market to buy a car, there will be some paperwork and forms to fill out in order to do the transfer of ownership and get the vehicle documented and ready for the road. This document contains information on the registration procedure and how to transfer ownership details after the sale of a car.
When you buy a car from a licensed used-car dealer, the dealership will take care and process of all the paperwork for you, but when you are buying it from a private seller, you will need to make sure to get the correct documentation in order to ensure the transaction goes as smoothly as possible.
There are five basic steps to follow when buying a used car:

STEP 1 – Signing the Sales Agreement

A sales agreement is not mandatory, but is highly recommended for your records. It serves as your proof of purchase and could protect you in the event of possible disagreements and discrepancies that could arise. For purposes of the CPA (Consumer protection act), all existing faults or exclusions should also be disclosed by the seller in the sales agreement.


When a vehicle changes owner, the Department of Transport should be contacted with the change of address and ownership details. Before re-registering a pre-owned or used vehicle to a new owner, the seller must first complete and submit a Notification of change of ownership (NCO – Yellow) form, which gives notification of change of ownership to the department of transport.

STEP 3 – Have the Vehicle Inspected to Obtain a ‘ROADWORTHINESS CERTIFICATE’

A roadworthiness certificate is needed in order to register a vehicle. The seller can have the vehicle tested for roadworthiness beforehand, but roadworthiness certificates are only valid for 21 days, it is recommended that the buyer do this. To get a roadworthiness certificate it is necessary for either the seller or the buyer to go to the nearest vehicle testing station with the following documents:
• The vehicle’s registration certificate
• Identification document (ID)
• Completed Application for Roadworthiness Certificate form (ACR)
• Associated Fee

Visit our download centre to obtain all the relevant documents

Continued on page 2…
Next Page